Super-automatic espresso machines are the perfect example of how modern technology can work with the traditional ways of espresso brewing. With just a press of a button, a super-automatic espresso machine is going to grind, tamp, and brew consistent drinks exactly how you want. They can give you a creamy cappuccino or silky latte milk. You may never want to go back to have a coffee in town once you have one in your kitchen.
Page Table of Contents
- What to check on a super-automatic espresso machine?
- Why use super-automatic espresso machines?
- One last advice
- 1. DELONGHI ESAM3300 Super-Automatic Espresso
- 2. Barista Express Espresso Machine
- 3. Gaggia 90500-Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- 4. Jura 13626 Ena Micro 1 Automatic Coffee Machine
- 5. Saeco HD8927/47 PicoBaristo Super-Automatic Espresso
- 6. Delonghi ECAM45760B-Automatic Espresso Machine
- 7. Saeco Xelsis SM7684/04-Automatic Espresso Machine
- Best super automatic espresso machine under 1000
- FAQs on super-automatic espresso machines
- Q: What’s the difference between semi-automatic and super-automatic espresso machines?
- Q: Which one is easier to maintain- the semi-automatic or the super-automatic espresso machine?
- Q: Is it safe to use any beans on the super-automatic espresso machines?
- Q: What happens to the super-automatic espresso machine when using oily beans?
- Related posts
What to check on a super-automatic espresso machine?
With modern technology changing everything in our life, it makes sense that the espresso machines went through many changes over the last years.
There are standard and extra-features to look in a super, with the extra features adding to the final price. Keep reading so that you can figure out which functions you may need on your machine:
- Internal brew group- it’s a standard feature, performing the fundamental tasks for brewing great espresso
- Removable internal brew groups- it’s an extra feature that lets you remove, check, and clean the mechanism of brewing
- Burr-grinder- all supers come with a high-quality conical burr grinder
- Pre-grinding- it’s a standard function that is great to have for brewing several drinks
- Grind settings- It’s normal for supers to include adjustability on the grind settings. It’s one fundamental feature for getting the taste you want for your espresso
- Adjustable dosing- it’s a typical function for the supers
- Bypass doser- it’s a useful feature that lets you use pre-ground coffee. It’s not a standard feature.
- Single heating elements– it’s a standard feature for the supers and ensures the right temp for your espresso
- Dual heating elements- it’s not a regular feature, but it’s great as it eliminates the wait time between brewing and frothing
- Indicator lights- most supers come with indicator lights informing you about maintenance. It can get tricky since it may confuse you, with one light indicating various problems.
- Digital display- it’s an extra feature, and one can only understand its great use.
- Liquid volume control- most supers come with this function, and you can control the amount of water passing through the coffee grinds
- Programming liquid volume control- it’s not a standard function, and it gives you the chance to program various liquid volume amounts into the espresso machine.
- Cup warmer- it’s an extra feature that keeps your drink warm
- Water filter system – it’s not a standard feature, but it gives a better taste for your espresso
Why use super-automatic espresso machines?
There are many advantages when using a super-automatic espresso machine:
- High quality of the drinks- some devices even store your favorite beverages for more comfortable use
- Give barista-grade beverages in your home- you can obtain barista-like beverages at home
- Milk quality- you may try incredible milk drinks with the supers
- Speed/volume- they’re fast and can give a high number of shots without losing the right temp between drinks.
One last advice
Super-automatic espresso machines don’t come cheap, and you should always begin the shopping session by checking your wallet. If you got more than a couple of hundreds in your pocket, you should start looking. If not, maybe you should settle for a less complicated espresso machine.
1. DELONGHI ESAM3300 Super-Automatic Espresso
Even though the popularity of DELONGHI ESAM3300 Super-Automatic Espresso/Coffee Machine speaks volumes, many of you are going to know the details too.
The machine comes with easy-to-use rotary and push-button control panel and has programmable settings. You can balance water and beans in so many ways, getting the espresso you like.
Thanks to the patented, compact, and straightforward “Direct-to-Brew” system, the machine grinds beans within seconds. You want to use beans with less visible oil (medium roast) for obtaining the best results.
Another innovative system on the machine is the patented “Cappuccino System” frother that combines steam and milk for giving a creamy and rich foam.
There are 13 adjustable settings for the professional burr grinder, but you can also use pre-ground in the second chamber. The extractable brew unit isn’t difficult to clean, and it’s also self-adjustable for one or two shots of espressos.
The machine comes with two stainless steel boilers that ensure even heat distribution, and have instant reheat function as well.
The cup warmer, the compact build, and the reasonably quiet operation continue the description, but there are many other good things to mention (water-level indicator, 60oz removable water tank, rinse and decalcification auto programs).
Even though it’s tough, here’s what we like the most about it:
- It comes with many and impressive functions
- It’s easy to use and highly adjustable
- The quality of the espresso is fantastic
- It runs rather quietly
The cons aren’t significant at all:
- The ground bins are made with plastic
- Some expected the water tank to be larger
At the end of the day, the espresso machine is one of the best options to try within the category, especially considering its price.
2. Barista Express Espresso Machine
If your mind is set on a super-automatic espresso machine, it means you’re ready for all the functions and controls that one can provide. The Breville, the Barista Express Espresso Machine, takes away control out of your hands when making espresso but gives you the possibility to have automatic or manual control.
The machine comes with an easy to clean grinder that allows dose control. It has conical burr grinder which grinds to your command and gives the right amount of coffee straight into the espresso port filter. We also have to mention the accurate espresso extraction with digital temperature control (PID) which gives water at best temperature, for best espresso extraction. You can have single or double shots, with low-pressure pre-infusion and 9 bar extraction pressure creating the best espresso every time.
The micro-foam texturing lets you hand texture micro-foam milk for improving your lattes.
The machine is made with stainless steel (mostly) and looks sturdy and durable. It comes with tools for cleaning the filters, and its manual is easy to follow.
Here’s our take on the pros:
- It grinds the bean right before extraction
- You can select automatic or manual operation
- You can have single or double shots
- It’s made with stainless steel and has a solid build
Bells and whistles aside, here are the downsides:
- There are some plastic parts within the build
- The water tank could be larger
The goods outweigh the bads, and the machine is a heavy-duty option to keep in mind, especially since it’s not breaking the bank.
3. Gaggia 90500-Super Automatic Espresso Machine
The Gaggia 90500 Titanium Super Automatic Espresso Machine brings many good things to the table, and the stainless steel appearance may be the most obvious one.
Even though it’s quite the looker, the machine is also a dependable and reliable machine to have around the house. It features a stainless steel lined brewing boiler and a steaming boiler. The 15 bar pump helps you get the creamiest espresso every time.
The built-in, conical burr grinder works fantastic, and there are 18 grind settings to choose from. The 60oz water reservoir is easy to clean, and you only need to descaling whenever the indicator of the machine tells you to.
The frothing wand is well placed, and the machine ensures fast steam for froth, without you having to wait between your drinks. Everyone is also going to appreciate the cup warmer and the 8-1/2oz bean hopper.
The cobalt blue LCD looks beautiful, and it’s easy to read, with the seven push buttons being easy to operate. There are five temperature settings, three coffee volume settings, on/off timer and close, pre-grinding features, and pre-infusion function. The automatic frothing attachment is able of drawing milk out of the external container and pour it right into your cup.
A bypass doser lets you add pre-ground coffee right into the machine, so you can have so many ways of using the device.
Great within its functions and performance, the machine is a winner for many coffee lovers out there.
We’ve shortened the pros to the following:
- It’s highly customizable and comes with many functions
- The blue LCD panel is easy to read
- The automatic frothing attachment is dependable
- It’s easy to use and gives excellent espresso
Don’t make a tragedy out of some minor downsides:
- The lid of the water tank is a bit tricky to grab
- There are some molded plastic parts within the build
Impressive with its looks and performing so well on so many levels, the machine may be the best choice for many coffee frenzies.
4. Jura 13626 Ena Micro 1 Automatic Coffee Machine
Unlike other opponents, the Jura 13626 Ena Micro 1 Automatic Coffee Machine has a small footprint and fits on any kitchen counter. As a matter of fact, its looks are the first thing to notice.
The machine is a lot more than meets the eye, with a list of functions that ensure automatic operation carefree every single time.
Many are going to appreciate the multi-level grinder and the micro brewing unit, whereas the touch panel lets you select one of the three user-defined cup sizes. There are also two aroma levels to choose from.
If you care about the environment, you’re going to be more than happy to find out that the machine has an automatic energy-saving mode and programmed switch-off time. The patented zero-energy switch also allows wise use of energy for the device.
It’s a one-cup coffee machine that is made to give you the perfect espresso, but as small as possible.
Even if it’s compact and has a small footprint, the machine allows tall mugs. It’s loaded with functions and also lets you know when it needs cleaning (Clean Me Light) or water.
Here’s our concise list of positive aspects:
- It’s compact and has a small footprint
- It’s loaded with fantastic functions
- It comes with the multi-level grinder
- It has several energy-saving features
We don’t consider the flaws to be deal-breakers:
- Some noticed the performance to be inconsistent
- It’s not very quiet
If you’re looking for a great, compact, automatic espresso machine to fit in your tiny kitchen, this one shouldn’t be left out of sight.
5. Saeco HD8927/47 PicoBaristo Super-Automatic Espresso
Capable of brewing 11 various coffees, the Saeco HD8927/47 PicoBaristo Super Automatic Espresso Machine Stainless Steelis one wise investment of your money.
You can have the creamiest espresso or a delicious cappuccino with just a touch of a button since the machine can extract maximum flavor thanks to the 100% ceramic grinders. The grinders are able of creating fantastic grind, with ceramic material reducing the risk of overheating and burnt taste.
Different coffee blends need different levels of granularity for the flavor, which is why the machine has ten adjustable settings. You can go with the finest grind (for a full espresso) or with the coarsest one when you want lighter coffee.
Many like the machine since it lets you set and store the individual length, strength, or temperature with five aroma strengths and ten grinder settings. Espresso, Espresso Lungo, espresso double, cappuccino, ristretto, baby cappuccino, latte macchiato, and flat white are the main options for the machine.
The removable brew group helps the machine do everything on its own so that you can enjoy fresh beans every single time, with just a touch of a button. Removing it for cleaning comes easy.
The heating boiler technology is high-speed, and you can have several cups, one after the other, without worrying about the temperature getting low.
Let’s have another look at the best parts:
- You can use ten adjustable settings for the grinder
- The grinders are made with ceramic
- You can store your espresso preferences in terms of length, strength, or temperature
- The machine heats up fast and allows the smooth operation
We’re not making a drama out of some minor problems:
- There are some plastic parts within the build
- Some expected even more customizing options
Regardless of the issues, the machine is still one great choice that gives tasty espresso, no matter how you like it to be.
6. Delonghi ECAM45760B-Automatic Espresso Machine
You’re going to love the fresh espresso that Delonghi ECAM45760B Digital Super Automatic Espresso Machine can give every single morning. The espresso machine comes with built-in burr grinder with adjustable settings. It grinds the fresh beans so that you can have a new espresso every time. When you don’t go for that, you should try the pre-ground in the second chamber (decaf or specialty, whatever floats your boat).
The DeLonghi LatteCrema System is going to create the ideally layered espresso drinks with a nice and creamy foam. You can only use cups smaller than 5.5in.
The consistent performance is one of the many things to appreciate on the machine, with every cup being brewed to the right temperature, density ad richness. You can also customize the settings for smoother operation. The device includes two different heating elements (one for milk preparation and one for espresso), always providing the right temperature for your drinks. You don’t need to wait for the machine to reheat between drinks either.
The machine stands out from the crowd with the short time cleaning and a self-cleaning feature.
The digital display panel is user-friendly, and the machine is easy to use.
Listing the most significant positive aspects:
- The built-in burr grinder comes with adjustable settings
- You can also use pre-ground
- The machine stores your preferences
- The performance is consistent, and the machine is easy to use
We’re not backing down over some minor problems:
- The risk for the grinder to clog isn’t null
- If you’re using oily beans, you may not get the best results
All things considered, the machine is a dependable option, and it’s worth every single penny.
7. Saeco Xelsis SM7684/04-Automatic Espresso Machine
The coffee snobs that want fantastic espresso at home too should keep reading. The Saeco Xelsis SM7684/04 Super Automatic Espresso Machine may satisfy even the pickiest espresso aficionado with its straightforward operation, sturdy build, and consistent performance.
You don’t just get an espresso machine, but one coffee machine that makes no less than 15 tasty drinks that you can customize with the Coffee Equalizer. Espresso, coffee, latte macchiato, cappuccino, flat white, espresso lungo, Americano, and many more are the drinks you can have with this machine. Also, the device lets you store six user profiles, so that you no longer waste time when preparing your customized drink.
Everything about the machine says high quality, and the ceramic grinders are one example. They provide a superior taste for your espresso for more than 20,000 cups.
The HygieSteam function cleans up the whole milk circuit with steam every time you’re making a drink with milk. A jet of hygienic steam cleans the milk system of the machine automatically Using the device isn’t messy at all.
We also have to mention the Aqua Clean water filter (patented) which purifies water for a better quality of your coffee. The water in filter is going to go on a longer path before getting into the machine, which ensures more profound purification. The coffee tastes better, and the scale buildup is lower. You can have 5000cups without descaling the filter.
As if the functions and performances weren’t enough, the machine impresses with the titanium metal front and professional-grade appearance.
We’ve shortened the pros to the following:
- You can make 15 drinks and customize them to your taste
- The machine saves six user profiles
- The device comes with patented AquaClean water filter and HygieSteam function
- The build is impressive, and the appliance is amazing
Far from being deal breakers, the inherent flaws don’t worry us a bit:
- The customer service isn’t amazing
- Some think that the temperature could be hotter
Nevertheless, for the fantastic build, performance, customizing options, and innovative functions, the machine is always an investment to make for the long run.
Best super automatic espresso machine under 1000
1. Breville BES880BSS-Touch Espresso Maker
The Breville BES880BSS Barista Touch Espresso Makeris an intelligent automatic machine that comes with easy-to-use touch screen display. You only need to go through three steps for making your espresso: grind, brew, and milk. You may adjust the coffee strength, the temperature, and the milk texture as well. The machine also gives you the possibility of creating and saving up to 8 personalized coffees.
Thanks to the auto steam wand, you can choose the milk temperature and texture for getting the taste you want. And you can obtain a barista-quality microfoam that gives a fantastic flavor to your drink.
The machine is also able to get to the best extraction temperature in only three seconds, and it’s thanks to the Innovative ThermoJet heating system. The PID (Digital Temperature Control) provides water at the ideal temperature so that you may enjoy the perfect espresso extraction.
The hands-free operation completes the description, and the machine is a solid choice for many. The revolutionary grinding cradle lets you grind right into the espresso portafilter, for barista-grade drinks at home.
The machine looks heavy-duty and has a durability feel to it.
Let’s have another look at the best parts:
- It ensures hands-free operation for the grinding
- You can customize your drinks
- The automatic micro-foam milk texturing is great
- It looks sturdy and long-lasting
Don’t let the minor problems stay in your way when placing your order:
- You need functional space on the counter for setting the machine
- Some would appreciate the water tank to be accessible from the front
Despite the issues, the espresso machine is a wise investment for many years to come.
2. Jura 15006 Impressa C60 Automatic Coffee Center
Any espresso drinker is going to like using the Jura 15006 Impressa C60 Automatic Coffee Center.
The 15bars of pressure give you an excellent espresso every time, whereas the exceptional foam technology gives smooth and creamy foam for your milk drinks. You can enjoy espresso, coffee, cappuccinos, and control rinding and brewing with just a touch of a button. You can also program and control the machine with a single switch.
The machine comes with a height-adjustable spout so that you may use both small and large cups. The water tank is 64oz, and it’s easy to clean.
The auto shut off feature saves energy, and the machine has consistent performance. It’s very well made and very well-designed. The display is quite self-explanatory, and looks are beautiful. The Piano Black housing is elegant and goes great with the stainless steel details.
Should you ever run into a problem, the customer service is going to be more than happy to help.
Here’s what we like the most about it:
- It has an easy to read display and one rotary switch operation
- You can try various coffee and milk drinks
- It has an adjustable spout
- It looks impressive, and it’s very well made
Don’t mind the problems, as they’re minor:
- The bean storage is a bit temperamental, according to some
- You need to go through several rotational clicks on the control button, which is annoying for some
Even if the machine isn’t all roses and rainbows, it’s still a great looking and dependable automatic espresso machine that delivers for a reasonable amount of time.
FAQs on super-automatic espresso machines
Q: What’s the difference between semi-automatic and super-automatic espresso machines?
A: A semi-automatic espresso machine gives you an excellent espresso at the press of a button, but you need a separate grinder for the device. You get more human control when using a semi-automatic machine. On the other hand, a super-automatic machine is able to grinding, brewing, and frothing milk in just one unit.
Q: Which one is easier to maintain- the semi-automatic or the super-automatic espresso machine?
A: No matter which type you get, you need to take care of both of your espresso machines. Nevertheless, the semi-automatic machine needs a bit more maintenance since you have to clean the baskets, the portafilters, and the shower screen any now and then. It doesn’t mean that a super-automatic model doesn’t need cleaning, but the maintenance is more accessible and less time-consuming.
Q: Is it safe to use any beans on the super-automatic espresso machines?
A: Using the right type of beans on the super-automatic espresso machine is fundamental, for the taste of your coffee and the durability of the device. Bear in mind that flavored beans and oily beans should be avoided with this type of machines, most of the time. You may ruin the taste of your espresso when using flavored beans, whereas oily beans can cause various problems to the device.
Q: What happens to the super-automatic espresso machine when using oily beans?
A: Since the oily beans don’t flow smoothly into the grinder, they may end up sticking to the walls of the bean hopper. It’s only a matter of time until coffee grounds hold together, becoming stable and compact. In time, the machine will fail to produce coffee since the screen on brew unit gets clogged.