You’ve been advised to replace your water filter, and for some reason, it doesn’t strike you as a good idea.
Perhaps, because it’d cost you some more cash, and you don’t have any spare cash for non-essentials, right?
Let me run you through the benefits of heeding to the advice and actually replacing the water filter:
First off, you install a Reverse Osmosis (RO) water filter in your home because you need to drink clean water (don’t we all?). Taking care of the water filter is one important thing we often take for granted, and the truth is, lack of proper care of the water filters cause more harm than good to our body systems.
Due to wear and tear, your RO water filter would need replacement of some of its components.
Page Table of Contents
- How Does an RO Water Filter Work?
- What happens to the contaminants that do not pass through?
- What if I don’t replace the water filter?
- Best Selling Reverse Osmosis Replacement Filters on Amazon:
How Does an RO Water Filter Work?
If you paid any attention to the Biology teacher, you would understand the basic mechanism of osmosis; involving the movement of water molecules from a region of higher water concentration to that of lower water concentration using a semi-permeable membrane.
Well, just as the name suggests, reverse osmosis filters work in the exact opposite way as osmosis but coupled with a little more pressure. This way, most dissolved salts are removed from your water.
What happens to the contaminants that do not pass through?
The water filtration process involves the use of cartridges. After prolonged usage, these cartridges get clogged up with contaminants. See why it’s necessary to change the cartridge on a periodic basis? This way, you can be sure that the water you end up drinking is actually clean water.
What if I don’t replace the water filter?
To be frank, that’s a pretty bad idea. Unless you got some real superpower water filters such as the ISpring’s excellent RO system, be ready to face some challenges with your RO system. Most of the challenges come as a result of a clogged water filter.
Some of these challenges are:
Lowered quality and quantity of water
Installing an RO water filter should mean having access to clean water. However, failure to maintain it means a denial of this benefit. In fact, your water’s low quality would be evident in its appearance, taste, and odor. Chemicals such as fluorine and chlorine wouldn’t be filtered so well- leading to bad odor. Reverse osmosis filters allow tiny molecules of water to pass through the tiny holes in the filter. When clogged up, the tiny holes become tinnier; implying a smaller quantity of filtered water.
Longer production time
If you are the observant type, you would notice a significant increase in the time required to produce a particular amount of filtered water. This still drives from the fact that the filters get blocked over time.
Increased energy consumption
RO filters work on electricity. When functioning optimally, they are very energy efficient. But, the reverse is the case if not maintained. Clogged up filters implies longer production time, higher use of electricity leading to an increase in your electricity bill, and of course, some additional strain on your pocket.
Is RO for You?
In spite of the few disadvantages of the RO system, it is still important to establish if the reverse osmosis filtration method suits you.
Try weighing the advantages of an efficient RO system such as access to clean water at cheaper rates; against disadvantages such as bad odor, higher electricity consumption and so on. The advantages sure outweigh the disadvantages!
Truly refreshing water is healthy and tastes just as it should. With an RO water filter that’s adequately maintained, you have no fears about your water quality.
Spending a few bucks on the upkeep of your filter, and availing yourself of the benefits, is totally worth it!
In closing, here’s a video from US Water Systems with a complete filter replacement and sanitation procedure:
Best Selling Reverse Osmosis Replacement Filters on Amazon:
- Tested by independent third-party to meet NSF/ANSI Standard, high capacity replacement filters for 5-stage reverse osmosis systems
- Fits 10" standard filter housings, compatible to most RO systems, includes Watts Premier, Flowmatic, PuROLine, Crystal Quest, Apec, and etc.
- Updated FT15 Post-Carbon Filters are built with secure push-fit quick connection. It allows faster filter replacement. If you have trouble installing the...
- 1-year supply of replacement filters, includes 2x FP15 sediment filters, 2x FG15 GAC filters, 2x CTO carbon filters, 1x FT15 post carbon filter
- Individually wrapped, fresh from factory. Fits RCC7 RCC7P RCW7 RCW5 RCC1P RCB4T
- Exactly what you need - Drink the healthiest water on Earth. All our filters are specially engineered to work together, producing the safest best tasting...
- Smart Filtered Sediment: The outer layers catch the coarsest contaminants and the inner layers catch finer contaminants. This means your filter lasts...
- Precision Engineered Carbon Filters: Efficiently packed carbon granules maximize your filtration surface area which means your filters give you the best...
- Highest Contaminant Reduction Rated Membrane - Density graded membrane film ensures that you get the most filtration and surface area coverage
- Quick Connect Compatible - Fully ¼" quick connect compatible inline PAC carbon post filter
- 10 INCH-Universal Compatible standard 10" reverse osmosis pre-filter replacement cartridges,size:2.5"OD x 10" height
- STANDARD-Fits almost standard sized 5 or 6 stage reverse osmosis systems,includes Ispring,Watts,Premier,Flowmatic,PuROLine,Crystal Quest,Puromax and more...
- Pack of 8-Includes (1)PP Sediment ,(1)Gruanlar Activated Carbon ,(1) Carbon Block Filter,(1)100 GPD Reverse Osmosis Membrane, (1) Post inline Carbon...
- GOOD PACKING-All Filters are individually wrapped&sealed and extend shelf life
- RESPONSABLE MANUFACTURER- ISO9001:2008 certificated Manufacturer ,also Member of Water Quality Association (WQA),30 Days Money Back Guarantee.
- Replacement Whirlpool reverse osmosis pre/post filter 2 pack (fits systems WHAROS5, WHAPSRO & WHER25)
- System is certified to reduce numerous contaminants including chlorine taste and odor, sediment, cysts, lead, chemicals, and dissolved solids
- 6 month filter life - replace your systems pre and post filter every 6 months. It is essential to change your filters on time to ensure your system is...
- Ultraease filter replacement - change filter in seconds with just a quarter turn - no hassles, no mess, no need to turn off your water supply
- Made In The USA
- Replacement Cartriges
- Reverse Osmosis