Owning a fish tank in your home is like bringing a piece of the ocean in your home. Watching plants swaying and fish swimming calms and soothes you, and we all need that sort of relaxing any now and then.
There are many things your fish tank cannot do without, and the stand is one of them. Not only that, it brings the fish tank to your eye level; it also keeps your livestock safe and secure. The variety of models and materials is overwhelming, so you should take your time when selecting the fish tank stand.
Page Table of Contents
- Top 7 Best 20-Gallon Fish Tank Stand
- What aspects matter the most when selecting the stand for your 20-gallon fish tank?
- FAQS on 20-gallon fish tank stands
Top 7 Best 20-Gallon Fish Tank Stand
1. Aquatic Black Scroll Aquarium Stand
Should you look for a basic metal stand for your fish tank, the Aquatic Fundamentals Black Scroll Aquarium Stand is a reliable model to try.
Not only that, the stand is made of steel, presenting excellent stability and ruggedness, but it also looks beautiful. The intricate details on the side give it an artistic vibe, and the stand can only improve the appearance of any fish tank.
Even if the looks are important, the build doesn’t disappoint either. The stand is made with steel that is moisture resistant, thanks to the powder-coated finish. It’s going to take a splash of water and now and then, for sure.
Putting the stand together isn’t complicated, and the stand is very well made. It’s sturdy and great value for the money.
Here’s the list of pros:
- It’s made with moisture-resistant metal and has a powder-coated finish
- It’s easy to put together
- It’s rugged and well made
- It looks beautiful
The cons shouldn’t make you change your mind:
- It doesn’t have an edge, which may pose some safety issues
- Some miss a shelf, as the stand doesn’t provide any storage space
A penny saved is a penny earned, and the stand is everything you want in a fish tank stand, especially if your wallet is thin.
2. Imagitarium Newport Wooden Tank Stand
Just because you’re going shopping on a tight budget doesn’t mean that you cannot find a reliable and pretty looking stand for your 20-gallon fish tank. The Imagitarium Newport Wooden Tank Stand – for 20 Gallon Aquariums is going to make the perfect addition to your fish tank’s equipment.
Even if the price may be the selling point for some, the stand comes with plenty of positive aspects to check. The clean and modern design is functional, making it all about your fish tank and not the stand itself.
The fish tank stand is made with wood, and it’s going to take the use for a fair amount of time. Putting the stand together shouldn’t take you long, and you can do it on your own.
The design is smart, and you can use the top shelf for placing your fish tank and the other two shelves for accessories, cleaning tools, and other items you need for your fish tank. Thanks to its build, you can also use one of the racks for displaying another fish tank.
If you’re putting the stand on carpet, you may notice that it’s going to wobble a bit. In all fairness, the stand looks and is stable on flat flooring. Either way, it comes with adjustable protective nylon feet for leveling the stand.
Let’s check the right parts once more:
- It’s made of wood and has three shelves
- It’s functional, versatile, and looks nice
- It’s easy to put together
- It’s affordable and has adjustable feet
For this kind of money, some downsides are to be expected:
- The instruction could be better
- The stability on carpet needs improvement
Beggars cannot be choosers, and, for the buck, you’re paying, the stand is reliable, nice-looking, and incredibly versatile.
3. Ameriwood Aquarium Stand
Truth be told, the first thing that you’re going to notice about Ameriwood Aquarium Stand is the appearance. The stand looks very elegant, but it doesn’t take away attention from your fish tank.
The stand is made of laminated MDF and particleboard and comes in four attractive finishes. They all look elegant and classic, fitting any décor in a home.
The design is smart, and the stand features open and concealed storage for holding the aquarium equipment, food, cleaning equipment, and more.
The top and bases are finished with a tiered appearance, which explains the decorative value of the stand. The back of the stand allows you to run all the cables you need for the fish tank.
The instruction is clear and quite easy to follow, and one could do the assembly all alone. However, the parts are quite heavy, which is why two adults should involve in the assembly.
On top of everything else, the price is quite attractive, and the stand is a fantastic value for the money.
Let’s have another look at the best parts:
- It has an elegant look and a classic feel
- It’s made of particleboard and laminated MDF
- It provides storage space for the fish tank equipment
- The instruction is easy to understand and to follow
The pet peeves aren’t major:
- It’s not waterproof
- The pain may chip easier than expected
Regardless of the minor issues, the fish tank stand is a beautiful, well-made, and functional stand, and you should give it a try next time you’re shopping.
4. Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand
The Aqueon Forge Aquarium Stand ticks many boxes within the category, and it’s probably the flexibility and versatility that stand out the most.
Should you not know which color you want for your décor, the stand makes it easy for you since it comes with reversible wood panels. Therefore, you can choose between brown or black when installing it. The versatility doesn’t stop here, and the stand can accommodate safely, not one, but two aquariums. You can basically fit your 20-gallon fish tank and another one on top.
The construction is excellent, and the stand is made with sturdy and long-lasting steel. Don’t worry about getting it wet since the steel is powder-coated for better rust resistance.
The center wood panel is easy to flip upward so that you access the bottom shelf a lot easier.
Versatile, flexible, and dependable, the stand is a fantastic choice for the aquarist that wants to display not one, but two fish tanks.
Here’s our take on the positive aspects:
- It comes with reversible wood panels
- You can fit two fish tanks
- It has a durable steel construction
- It’s powder-coated and rust-resistant
The downsides aren’t deal breakers for us:
- The flap on the front may break easy
- It’s not very easy to put it together
All in all, for the versatility, rugged build, and flexibility, the stand should be on your shopping list on any given day.
5. Petco Brooklyn Metal Tank Stand
Even if the Petco Brooklyn 29 Gallon Metal Tank Stand isn’t primarily made for a 20-gallon fish tank, it can perfectly fit a 20-gallon long fish tank.
The stand is made with solid steel and has a rugged feel to it. It’s very well made and it’s straightforward to put it together. It can take you even 10 minutes for assembly.
The design is simple and ensures a smooth feel. The basic design and black appearance give the stand a sleek and minimalist profile. The stand will look subtle and beautiful, no matter where you put it.
Compact and almost ready to use out of the box, the stand presents excellent stability. The adjustable feet will help you level it for the best results.
Here’s what we find amazing about the stand:
- It has minimalist and functional design
- It’s effortless to put it together
- It has a rugged feel and excellent stability
- It comes with adjustable feet
Don’t let the minor downsides ruin it for you:
- It doesn’t come with storage space
- You may have to anchor it to the wall if you’re installing it on a carpet.
All things considered, the stand looks nice and doesn’t disappoint in terms of build or stability. Why not give it a try?
6. Innovative Marine 20 Gallon APS
Aquarists that go for the simple, yet functional design should take a look at the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion Peninsula 20 Gallon APS (Aluminum Profile Series).
The stand is made with anodized aluminum, but it presents a wood finish. You get the elegant and classic looks of wood and the ruggedness and durability of aluminum. Not only that, the stand looks beautiful and subtle, but it’s also corrosion-resistant, taking the occasional splash of water. For those of you who don’t know, aluminum is an excellent material for custom commercial stands as it’s versatile, durable, and lightweight. It’s not going to swell nor warp anytime soon.
The stand comes semi-assembled, and the included hardware makes the assembly a breeze. It also comes with pre-cut closed Cell PVC foam boards for better functionality.
The modular build and the corrosion-resistance help the stand take both fresh and marine environments.
We’ve shortened the best parts to the following:
- It’s made with anodized aluminum
- It’s corrosion-resistant and takes fresh and marine environments
- It has a modular build and a slim profile
- It has a wood finish and seems very durable
Far from being deal breakers, the downsides complete the big picture:
- It’s not a cheap stand
- It doesn’t come with storage options
As long as you focus on the goods which are plenty, the stand should be one of the best investments to make for many years to come.
7. Ameriwood Home Wildwood Aquarium Stand
The more you’re willing to pay for your fish tank stand, the more you should expect in terms of quality of materials, build, and looks. It’s the case of Ameriwood Home Wildwood Aquarium Stand, 20 gallon that looks insanely elegant and has a durability feel to it.
The stand has the looks of a long-lasting piece of furniture, but it doesn’t draw attention away from your fish tank. At most, it’s going to make it look even more elegant and exquisite.
The subtle rustic style of the stand is something that many aquarists will love. The stand can hold the weight of a 20-gallon fish tank or 250lbs. It’s made from weathered white wood veneer and has laminated particleboard. It doesn’t look pure white, but rather grey, but it’s all in the right way. The attention to the details is impressive, and the black metal hardware accents give the stand the sleek feel that is so versatile. The stand will look perfect in any shabby chic, transitional, or rustic living space!
But it’s not only the appearance that impresses with the stand. The design is highly functional, and the stand includes two spacious shelves with two doors. You may easily hideaway for nets, fish food, water treatments, and cleaning equipment. Therefore, you have everything you need for your fish tank on the shelves, but it’s elegantly stored!
Even if the stand has a fantastic design, putting it together shouldn’t pose any problems. Its parts are quite heavy, so two adults may be required to handle the proper assembly.
We’ve shortened the best parts to the following:
- It looks elegant, rustic, and artistic altogether
- It’s made from weathered white wood veneer with laminated particleboard
- It includes black metal hardware accents
- It features two shelves with doors for storing the fish tank equipment and essentials
Bells and whistles aside, some shortcomings do reveal:
- There’s a gap between the cabinet doors, according to some
- It’s not a cheap stand
Even if they stand isn’t all roses and rainbows, it’s still a fantastic piece of furniture that improves the looks of any fish tank for many years to come!
What aspects matter the most when selecting the stand for your 20-gallon fish tank?
Fish tank stands come in many shapes, materials, and sizes, so picking the right for your fish tank can be daunting.
Shopping with the main criterion in mind will make the selection process a lot easier:
- The type of stand you want
There are several kinds of fish tank stand, and you should always check the quality of the stand you’re about to buy.
Here are the main types of fish tank stands:
- Brand name stand is made by high dollar manufacturers that specialize in making stands for aquarists. They typically come with a wood/metal frame and come with many features (storage shelves, cable ports, and so on). They’re the most reliable option for dedicated aquarists.
- Standard fish tank stands (from the big store). You can find them in stores and are made of particleboard and MDF. They’re quite cheap but may not handle the needs of saltwater tanks on the cause of high humidity inside the tank.
- Custom-built stands are made according to your specific needs and requirements. They’re high quality, but never come cheap.
- DIY stands cost as much as you want them to cost. You’re free in choosing your materials, design, extra features, and so on.
- The materials
There are many types of materials that can be used for a fish tank stand, with plywood, metal, and MDF/particle board as the first options.
- MDF (particle board) is the cheapest kind of wood used for stands. It doesn’t handle the saltwater aquarium due to high humidity.
- Plywood is the standard option in the high-quality fish tank stand category since it’s a durable material and handles water better than MDF. You may paint or seal it for better water resistance, taking the use for a long time.
- Metal is the most common option for large aquariums. It provides fantastic structural support, and many custom stands are made with both metal and wood. It can offer more convenient access to the sump and back-end electronics. Aluminum and stainless steel are the most typical materials used for metal stands.
- The type of opening and height
Most stands are open at the top, which isn’t a bad thing for a glass fish tank. However, you need support for the whole bottom in the case of acrylic fish tanks. In the case of rimless fish tanks, it’s better that you also use a self-leveling mat, since the wood may lead to pressure points in the glass.
You should also have an opening at the top of the sump. Otherwise, it’s going to be impossible for you to move it away once the fish tank is all installed.
Don’t forget to think about the amount of space you need for the fish tank equipment. Large door openings are grand as they hide the material efficiently and pleasantly looking. Many typical stands come with a brace in the middle of the stand, which will make the maintenance quite tricky. You’re not going to find the brace in high-end fish tank stands, though.
Another aspect to think about is height. You should think about how much you’re planning to gaze at your fish tank. If you plan on admiring from sitting down, the stand should be shorter than 30 inches. Most high dollar fish tank stands are 30-36inches, so choose right.
- Canopy or no canopy
Canopy isn’t widespread these days, so it’s really a personal thing. If you don’t buy an awning, you get to save on the budget. Should you worry about your fish jumping out of the tank, it’s better that you at least use a mesh screening for protection.
- The DIY solution
If you have carpentry skills, the DIY stand may be the best solution for you. It’s more expensive to buy a stand, especially when you want all the bells and whistles. But if you know your way around tools and wood, we see no reason whatsoever for not trying making the fish tank stand on your own.
Most DIY stands are made out of wood, and you can find several projects to get inspiration from. The main principle of the design is two box frames that are linked by four legs. The legs should be made of multiple pieces, whereas the sides should be covered with plywood for better stability. You can place doors the way you want. Just don’t forget to add an oil-based primer and to powder-coat it for water resistance.
FAQS on 20-gallon fish tank stands
Q: Where should you place the stand in your home?
A: A dark and quiet place is the best position for the fish tank. It’s better to stay away from windows, direct sunlight as you’re only going to increase the water temperature and algae growth. Try also to avoid the sources of significant noises (television or sound systems), as it can be quite stressful for your livestock. You should also never place the stand close to a radiator or a heater.
Q: Can you place the 20-gallon fish tank on a coffee stand or a table?
A: We can correctly understand why you would be tempted to place a fish tank on a coffee stand or any other table you have in your living room. Even though they look sturdy, most tables cannot handle more than 50 pounds. A 20-gallon fish tank can weigh up to 250pounds, so don’t place it on the table in the living room!
Q: Is it tricky to put a 20-gallon fish tank stand together?
A: Setting a stand up can be easy, but it all differs from one manufacturer to another. Some provide you all the hardware you need and clear instructions that are easy to follow for the proper assembly. It also depends on your skills, as some are better DIY projects than others.
Q: Is it possible to waterproof a fish tank stand?
A: Even if many fish tanks present some sort of moisture and corrosion resistance, you can actually improve the water-resistance of the stand. You can apply a waterproof sealant on the whole inside of the stand. Don’t hesitate running silicon on the corners underneath, inside the stand. Mounting a power strip on the interior section can also help with waterproofness.
Q: Can we talk about the perfect color for a fish tank stand?
A: There’s no such thing as the ideal color for the fish stand. However, it’s wise to stay away from bright colors as you want to maintain a natural feel to the stand and the fish tank. Plus, the stand should help your fish tank pop out and not draw attention to it. It should fit the décor and look appealing, nevertheless.